Care and cleaning of WMCs and other SS weights

Contribute here, your experiences, tips, advice, requests for help on any subject relating to Ball Stretching.
NB attachments are limited to 60Kb / image size max. 500px x 500px and resolution no more than 72dpi please

Moderators: bobbyballsack, DaveSmith, tundraman

tundraman
Sexuality: Bisexual
Time stretching?: 3 + years
Stretching usage: WMCs
Your hang: free 6.5 inch
Stretching intensity: 24/7/365 until I reached my goal.
Now I only stretch when I feel like it.
Height and weight: 70 inch, 155 pounds

Care and cleaning of WMCs and other SS weights

Postby tundraman » June 4th, 2012, 10:44 pm

WMCs and other surgical Stainless Steel rings leach very little nickel (or other more toxic metals) on to your skin in this continuously semi damp salty environment. To reduce leaching further the rings are polished to a near mirror like finish. This hugely reduces surface area available for leaching. Micro grooves can increase surface area by 2 to 4 fold. Grooves and scratches can harbor bugs as well as irritate the shea softened sack skin.

But the one down side of about all Stainless Steels used in rings is that it is softer than most other steels.
It scratches easyier and threads wear faster.

The screw is a harder alloy of stainless than the ring, for strength, in most cases. So dust ( it gets everywhere ) in the threads or screwing without lube is going to wear the ring faster than the screw.

When I do remove mine every few months to clean and inspect for crud, I pay close attention to cleaning out the threads as abrasive dust etc does manage to get in some.

I use charcoal lighter fluid and an old tooth brush for the screw threads - cleaned of all abrasive toothpaste. I use the wrench to help hold the screw while gently brushing the treads clean. If you are doing this in the sink put the stopper in - I forgot once and had to retrieve the screw from the trap - :roll:

I use a cotton swab for the hole, rinsing often and changing the swab when it gets dirty. The hole is the biggest challenge, I "screw" the solvent saturated swab in fully and screw it back out and discard the swab and do do it again with a fresh soaked swab until they come out clean.
If you pull half the cotton off the end of the Q-Tips before dipping in the fluid or alcohol, they screw in and out of the thread holes a lot easyier.
I have a little solvent dispenser bottle with a needle tip that I use to flush the remaining loose crud out with, using alcohol. A normal syringe with needle would work too. I stick the needle tip all the way in so that the crud is flushed out and not just shoved to the bottom of the hole.

Then, when clean, I wash the lighter fluid off with dish detergent, rinse well with hot water and let everything dry. Blowing across the holes gets most of the water out.

Then I put a glob of shea butter in the hole and run the screw in and out once to spread it around. The shea dosent seem to effect the staying tight part but it prevents tread galling when tightening.

Note - do not use the toothbrush on the ring, it will mar the finish - yes it is that soft.
Gett'er Down, Chuck
Index of info posts - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=931
Jarod's guide: http://www.secretleather.com/jarod.johansen
Dave's Secretleather site for real WMC's: http://www.secretleather.com/

Norman
Time stretching?: 2 years 3 months
Your hang: up to 6". I've noticed them drop even more!
Stretching intensity: 15+30+15mm a lot of the time, 30mm 24/7.
Your relationship status: Married (officially or otherwise)
Are you pierced?: No
Height and weight: 67" 154 lbs

Re: Care and cleaning of WMCs and other SS weights

Postby Norman » July 3rd, 2012, 7:19 pm

A good procedure Chuck. I was having problems with the WMC pins jamming halfway this procedure sorted them out.

Norman
I am travelling along an unknown road but I now see that I am not alone.

tundraman

Re: Care and cleaning of WMCs and other SS weights

Postby tundraman » September 15th, 2012, 6:45 pm

This quarters WMC cleaning is done and drying. - About the only time all my weights are gathered. :lol:
IMG_1854 WMC Cleaning.JPG
IMG_1854 WMC Cleaning.JPG (104.14 KiB) Viewed 3781 times

Next is lubing the treads and assembly - then sorting with my vernier calipers for size and returning them to their boxes.
Gett'er Down, Chuck

tundraman

Polishing rings

Postby tundraman » March 20th, 2014, 2:53 pm

If you own a bench grinder, you can easily polish out the scratches that happen even with the best of care.
I keep the mirror like finish on all my rings by polishing when they start looking scratched or dull on the ID surface. This is important to keep the surface area low and thus the leaching of nickel as close to zero as possible. Surgical stainless is very low leaching, but not zero leaching.

Buy a cloth buffing wheel ( about 1/2 inch wide ) and a jewelers rouge stick for the grinder and learn how to use it.
The rouge is applied to the spinning wheel surface and the wheel applies it to the ring as you polish with light pressure holding the ring firmly.
Remove the tool rest from the grinder it will scratch the ring. This has to be done free and bare handed. The rest is also a hazard for your fingers if they get caught between the wheel and rest.
I disassemble the ring and hand hold the ring while polishing the inner surface.
I put down a piece of carpet under the grinder so that WHEN :lol: the piece gets away from me it has a soft place to land.

After polishing the ID clean the ring of all polish and dust paying close attention to the thread hole. Assemble the ring snuggly and polish the outside if you want and re-clean before taking apart to keep the abrasive rouge from getting into the threads.
Cleaning is at the top of this post string. The rouge is fine abrasive in a wax base that charcoal lighter fluid will dissolve.
Gett'er Down, Chuck

Return to “Shared experience for Ball Stretchers”